Chocolate meltaway is a candy that is rich enough to curb your chocolate cravings while being easy enough to make on a regular basis. In fact, I predict you'll make these more than once. This chocolate meltaway candy recipe only uses three ingredients!
Meltaways are a candy that have a velvet texture that begins to dissolve in your mouth as soon as you eat it. This unique texture is made by combining chocolate that contains cocoa butter with another fat that has a different molecular structure than cocoa butter. These meltaways only use two main ingredients which are dark chocolate and vegetable palm shortening. If you don't have the particular vegetable palm shortening I used in the recipe, you can also use coconut oil that is firm at room temperature.
Ingredients for chocolate meltaways
- Dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- Vegetable shortening or coconut Oil
- I used Spectrum Organic all vegetable shortening because it has a neutral taste and allows the chocolate flavor to really come through. I've found it locally at Publix and Whole Foods for much cheaper than Amazon. Some coconut oils will impart a coconut flavor, which isn't a problem unless you don't like coconut.
- Sea Salt for topping, if desired
Equipment for small batch chocolate meltaway
8.5 x 6.5 x 0.5" sheet pan
large microwavable safe bowl
How to make small batch chocolate meltaway
You will not believe how simple making these actually is. First, you line your small baking sheet with parchment paper. Second, combine your chocolate and vegetable fat together in a large microwaveable safe bowl. Third, microwave the chocolate and vegetable fat until both items are fluid and combined. Finally, pour your mix into your prepared pan and refrigerate it until firm. That's it! Of course, if you want to top it with sea salt, top it with course sea salt prior to refrigerating. In order to cut it in whichever shape you'd like, it must be refrigerated first.
Tempering - do I need to do it?
Honestly, it's up to you. The texture will change slightly to a more evenly smooth, very delectable bite if you temper the chocolate. If you want to temper the chocolate, do it in these steps:
- Melt your dark chocolate. For this batch, I melt 300 grams of chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. I microwave for 60 seconds, stir, and microwave for 30 more seconds. This takes me to 114F. I then add in the remaining 140 grams and stir until completely smooth. Make sure you bring the chocolate down to 90F.
- Melt the fat you've chosen to use. Do not heat it above 90F.
- Combine tempered chocolate and melted vegetable fat.
- Pour into prepared pan. Refrigerate until firm.
Storage and shelf life
Store these in an airtight container at room temperature. If you do like to eat cold chocolates, you can store them in the fridge. These meltaways have a long shelf life anywhere from 6 to 9 months.
Other candy recipes without a candy thermometer
If you loved how easy this recipe was, you might like some candy recipes that don't require a candy thermometer, such as these French silk truffles.
Chocolate meltaways candy recipe:
Small Batch Dark Chocolate Meltaways
- 430 grams dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 140 grams palm shortening or coconut oil
- 10 grams sea salt for topping
- Prepare a 8.5" x 6.5" sheet pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Melt dark chocolate and vegetable shortening together until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with Sea Salt.
- Refrigerate until firm. Cut into bars.