Peanut butter nougat is probably my top food weakness. It is so classic inside of candy bars - who else loves a Reese fast break? Making a homemade fast break candy bar is a little dangerous because once I make it, I can't stop eating it. Once it's all gone I'm dreaming of different things I can make with it again. If you've never had it before, one of the most recognized candy bars containing it is the Reese fast break. Nougat definitely doesn't get enough love in the United States.
This recipe tells you how to make nougat and all about what nougat is. Is nougat made of marshmallows and peanut butter? No. No. No. All peanut butter nougat - homemade or peanut butter nougat candy in the confectionery industry is made using an egg whip and cooked sugar slurry.
If you are a nougat lover like me, check out my strawberry nougat or chocolate nougat recipes!
Nougat: The versatile dreamboat
Light and fluffy, stand alone or add as a layer in other confections, endless variations on texture, flavor, and inclusions. It's no wonder people have a love affair with nougat. This peanut butter nougat is my favorite as a candy bar nougat recipe.
Nougat's first cousin: meringue.
There are three ingredient groups in nougat, and at its core is whipped egg whites and sugar. This sugar just happens to be molten hot syrup instead of dry sugar.
Ingredients and groups for peanut butter nougat:
- Egg whip:
- eggs whites and corn syrup
- Syrup slurry:
- sugar, corn syrup, water
- Finishing agents:
- powdered sugar, vanilla, and peanut butter
- A thick bottomed, heavy duty pot. You need this for cooking your syrup slurry.
- Candy thermometer. Making this recipe without one is a deal breaker. Don't attempt it without a candy thermometer. If your thermometer has seen better days, you can test it by taking the temperature of boiling water. The temperature reading should say between 210F - 212F.
- 5 quart planetary mixer. This is used to whip the egg whites and then stream in the hot sugar.
- High heat spatula or wooden spoon for stirring. Regular spatulas are not meant to be used in temperatures this high and they could melt.
- 9 x 13" sheet pan with edges (a casserole dish will work)
- parchment paper
Chocolate: To dip or not to dip?
Dipping this peanut butter nougat in chocolate is delicious. You can dip it halfway or fully dip it in chocolate. I also use this nougat recipe in my chocolate peanut butter nougat candy bars that have a layer of salted peanut caramel.
Storage and shelf life:
Store nougat an in airtight container at room temperature. The shelf life is 9-12 months (if you can keep it around that long!).
Peanut Butter Nougat
Egg White Meringue
- 60 grams egg whites (2 large eggs)
- 100 grams corn syrup
- 670 grams corn syrup
- 580 grams sugar
- 180 grams water
Flavors and Graining Sugars
- 3 grams vanilla bean paste vanilla extract can be used
- 400 grams creamy peanut butter
- 160 grams powdered sugar sifted
- 150 grams peanuts
- 16 ounces chocolate for dipping
- Sift powdered sugar, set aside.
- Heat peanut butter until fluid in microwave or over a water bath, set aside.
- In a 5 quart stand mixer, combine 100 grams of corn syrup, and egg whites.. Mix until combined but do not whip.
- Combine 580 grams of sugar, 670 grams of corn syrup, and 180 grams of water in a thick bottomed, heavy duty pot. Begin cooking over high heat.
- When sugar reaches 234F, begin whipping egg whites on high. Continue cooking syrup until temperature reaches 252F. Remove from heat.
Making the Nougat
- Slowly stream hot syrup into egg whites while whipping. Continue whipping for four more minutes after all syrup has been added.
- After 4 minutes, turn mixture to low.
- Add in powdered sugar, vanilla, and peanut butter and mix until combined.
- IF YOU ARE JUST MAKING NOUGAT:
- Spread on oiled parchment in a 9 x 13 sheet pan or baking dish. Top with peanuts if desired, pressing them with gentle pressure into the nougat. Cover when cooled slightly with parchment and let sit 12 hours or overnight.
- Cut into 1.5 " x 3 " rectangles. Dip in chocolate if desired.
- IF YOU ARE LAYERING FOR PB DREAM CARAMEL CANDY BARS:
- Layer nougat directly on top of the caramel. Spread into an even layer. Top with a sheet of oiled parchment paper. Cover and let sit 12 hours or overnight before cutting.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!