This easy recipe for crispy peppermint sugar cookies truly does make THIN and CRISPY cookies, not to be confused with the kind that you put frosting on. These sugar cookies with peppermint are light, snappy, and fracture in your mouth when you take a bite.
These crispy sugar cookies are with brown butter and are rolled in coarse granulated sugar both for a beautiful look and an added exterior crunch. I love the nutty flavor that comes from the brown butter and it's adding in peppermint extract is delicious twist on a classic sugar cookie.
Perfect peppermint sugar cookie ingredients
Peppermint Sugar cookies
- butter, browned and at room temperature
- peppermint extract
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- coarse sanding sugar
- dark chocolate
How much peppermint extract to use in cookies
¾ teaspoon is good! A little bit goes a long way with peppermint sugar cookies, so you can always back down the amount and use more peppermint candies on top of the chocolate ganache.
Store the finished cookies in a sealed container at room temperature or in the fridge if you prefer a chilled cookie!
Recipe for sugar cookies with peppermint
Crispy Peppermint sugar cookies
- 5 quart stand mixer with paddle attachment
- cookie scoop
- cookie sheet
- 1 cup brown butter, at room temperature
- 1.5 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 0.75 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- ½ cup coarse sanding sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate, chopped into pieces not baking chips
- ½ stick butter
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream together the brown butter, and granulated sugar until smooth and creamy. Add in the eggs and peppermint extract for 3-4 minutes until the texture is light and fluffy.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon a generous 1 large cookie scoop of dough and roll into balls. Roll the balls in sparkling sugar.
- Cover the dough and chill in the fridge overnight
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place dough balls at least 2-3 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for on the center rack of the oven for 12 minutes or until the edges are set and the centers are still soft.
- Remove from the oven and let rest on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Combine dark chocolate and butter in a microwaveable safe bowl.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one until chocolate and butter are combined and fluid.
- Spoon a teaspoon amount over each cookie. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies and a peppermint bark snowman if desired.
- Ganache will set up to not be runny in approximately 30 minutes at room temperature and quicker in the fridge.
- Cookies can be stored sealed at room temperature or the fridge.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: