Is there anything better than fluffy Nutella nougat candy bars? I don't think so. Nutella is a sweetened hazelnut spread given to us by the Gods, or the Ferrero company.
It's a silky, chocolate hazelnut, staple in my pantry that both my kids love. They will often find the jar and bring it to me with a spoon in hopes of having it for a snack. When I bought multiple Nutella jars to start testing out the recipe for this candy, their eyes lit up! It was such a fun process to trial exactly how much Nutella was needed to make these delicious candy bars, and they loved being my taste testers.
What is nougat?
Nougat is an amazing confection that is very popular outside of the United States, but really has only gained popularity as a candy bar layer in the US. I'm here to change that. Seriously, if Nutella decides to brand this candy bar and put it on the shelves, it won't be able to kept in stock. Making nougat is similar to making meringues or macarons. Once you do it, you'll be amazed at how easy it is.
Nougat is broken down into three parts when cooking:
- Egg white meringue
- Syrup Slurry
- Finishers: Fats (this is the Nutella!), Flavors if using, Graining agents
If you'd like to learn more about nougat, check out my page on nougat in the Scientifically Speaking section.
Prep your ingredients- Nutella nougat
Having your ingredients weighed out and divide into meringue, slurry, and ending flavors and finishers will move throughout the nougat making process with ease.
Egg white meringue: corn syrup and egg whites. You'll combine these in the bowl of a 5 quart planetary mixer.
Syrup slurry: sugar, corn syrup, water
Finishers: nutella, powdered sugar, cocoa
Equipment - Nutella nougat
high heat spatula or wooden spoon
9 x 13 sheet pan with raised edges
5 quart planetary mixer
microwaveable glass bowl for Nutella
Steps of Nutella nougat making.
1. Combine your egg whites in corn syrup in the mixing bowl. Mix gently but do not begin to whip.
2. Start cooking the syrup (water, sugar, and corn syrup). At 232F, turn your mixer to high speed and continue cooking the syrup.
3. At 252F, stop cooking the syrup and slowly stream slurry into egg whites. I mean SLOWLY stream the hot syrup into the whipping egg whites. Don't go too fast- you don't want to collapse your meringue.
4. Mix for 4 more minutes once all the syrup has been added, mix for four more minutes on high speed. After 4 minutes, turn the mixer to low speed.
5. Add in fluid Nutella, add in powdered sugar and cocoa. Nutella can be made fluid by microwaving it in 30 seconds intervals.
6. Spread on greased parchment
7. Top with an additional sheet of greased parchment.
Nougat must sit, undisturbed, for 24 hours before cutting. Nougat must sit before cutting to get the sugar to grain and the texture to shorten. If you were to cut it before this, the bars would lose their shape and flow. Allowing it to cool and grain makes for easy cutting and dipping.
What size do I cut the Nutella nougat?
I like to make these pretty big, 1" wide by 5.5" long. You can cut them however you'd like though!
Dip in chocolate
I like to dip mine in milk chocolate, but dark would be just as delicious. Did you know candy bars before they are dipped in chocolate are referred to as naked?
Fluffy Nutella Nougat Candy Bars
- thick bottomed pot for sugar cooking
- high heat spatula or wooden spoon
- 9 x 13 sheet pan with raised edges
- microwaveable glass bowl for Nutella
Egg White Meringue
- 60 grams Egg Whites 2 egg whites
- 100 grams Corn Syrup
- 670 grams Corn Syrup
- 580 grams Sugar
- 180 grams Water
Fats, Flavors, Graining Agents
- 18 oz Nutella 1 full large jar
- 160 grams Powdered Sugar
- 160 grams Cocoa
- 3 pounds tempered milk chocolate or milk chocolate flavored candy wafers
Egg White Meringue
- Combine 100 grams of corn syrup and two egg whites in the bowl of a 5 quart planetary mixer. Mix to combine but do not start mixing on high yet.
- Combine 180 grams water, 670 grams corn syrup, and 580 grams of sugar. Cook over high heat to 232F.
- When temperature reaches 232F, turn mixer on high. Continue cooking to 252F.
- Turn off heat. Slowly stream syrup into whipping egg whites. Do not go to fast - you will collapse the egg white meringue.
- Once all of the syrup has been added, continue whipping on high for 4 minutes.
Fats, Flavors, Graining agents
- Turn mixer to low- medium. add in fluid Nutella. Add in powdered sugar and cocoa. Mix until combined.
- Pour on greased parchment. Top with another sheet of greased parchment. Nougat MUST sit for 24 hours before cutting.
Cut and Dip
- Cut nougat into desired size bars. I recommend bars be 1" by 4.5".
- Dip into tempered milk chocolate or milk chocolate flavored candy melts.