These easy to make boxed brownies are even better with this one simple hack - a muffin top pan. I am a huge fan of boxed brownies and the best boxed brownie mix is 100% Ghirardelli. They are an easy to make chocolate brownie recipe that deliver a fudgey chocolate brownie every time. This boxed brownies hacks shows you how to bake boxed brownies so each brownie is soft on the inside with a crinkly top and crispy edges. Bonus: you don't have to cut them with a knife and they are perfectly even - a great brownie for parties!
Do you remember that brownie pan that used to be on the infomercials, the perfect brownie pan? It promised to make the best brownies with every side being perfectly crisp. I had one. It was a pain in the butt. It was hard to clean, was too small of a pan, and really didn't deliver on the crispy brownie edges it claimed.
If you love other quick baking tips, check out these caramel filled chocolate chip cookies.
The ingredients you use need to be based on what your box mix calls for. This box mix called for:
- an egg
- vegetable oil
Of course, you'll also need your boxed brownie mix. I recommend the Ghirardelli brand.
Make sure to check your specific box for ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 325F and then prepare your brownie mix according the the box instructions. Instead of pouring it into a typical 8" x 8" pan to cook. you'll evenly distribute the batter among the 12 cavities in the muffin top pan.
Generously grease each pan cavity.
Evenly distribute the brownie batter into the 12 cavities. You will use all of the batter.
Tap the muffin top pan on the counter to even the batter out inside of the cavity before baking.
Bake for 18 minutes in the preheated oven. Brownies must be cooled COMPLETELY (a couple of hours) before removing them from the pan.
Hint: I like to use a medium sized cookie scoop for evenly distributing my brownie batter.
- Topped with icing - spread your favorite icing on top of the cooled brownies for a nice change from cookies! I topped mine with milk chocolate icing and rainbow chip sprinkles.
- Brownie ice cream sandwich - because these brownies are so even, they are perfect for making ice cream sandwiches. Place a scoop of ice cream between two!
- Toffee chip - add toffee pieces to your brownie batter.
The most important piece of equipment for this easy to make chocolate brownie recipe is the muffin top pan. I have used this muffin top pan for so many things in the past year - deep dish cookies, whoopie pies, and yes - even muffin tops.
Brownies typically last 3 to 4 days at room temperature and up to 5 days sealed tightly in the fridge. If that's not enough, you can freeze them.
Top tip - removing brownies from the pan
Cool the brownies COMPLETELY before removing them from the pan. If you don't wait, they will break apart. You also can fill the muffin top pan to almost the very top is ideal. This will allow some of the batter to overflow just a bit, and it will be easier to remove the brownie from the pan. Applying light pressure and turning the brownie in a circle will allow the brownie to pop out easily.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Easy best boxed brownie hack
- 1 box brownie mix , prepared as directed on box Ghirardelli recommended
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Prepare brownie mix as directed on box.
- Generously grease each cavity of the muffin top pan.
- Evenly distribute brownie mix in the 12 cavities.
- Tap muffin top pan on counter to remove air bubbles from brownie mix.
- Bake in oven for 18 minutes.
- Cool on counter for 2 hours or until brownies are 100% cool without any remaining heat.
- Remove from pan. Top with icing if desired.
- Store in airtight container.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!