These dulce de leche cookies use slow cooker dulce de leche and refrigerated sugar cookie dough. They are easy, impressive, and delicious. The sugar cookies are rolled in a cinnamon sugar mix, layered with a cinnamon white candy coating, and topped with irresistible dulce de leche.
Background content: is this popular at certain times of year? Special holidays?
This was inspired by my can you make dulce de leche in the slower cooker post, a great resource for learning about dulce de leche and how different amounts of time in the slow cooker will change your finished product.
I chose to use refrigerated sugar cookie dough because I didn't have time to make homemade sugar cookies, but you can certainly use your favorite homemade sugar cookie recipe! Please make sure to refrigerate the sugar cookie dough before baking. The cinnamon sugar blend is a 50/50 blend of cinnamon and white sugar.
- refrigerated sugar cookie dough ( I used the Pillsbury brand)
- white confectionery coating such as almond bark or Ghirardelli melting wafers
- slow cooker dulce de leche, cooked for 10 hours
- cinnamon sugar blend
See recipe card for quantities.
Before you can make these cookies, you need to make the dulce de leche. You should make this the day before you want to make the cookies. Do not open the can until it has 1) completely cooled down and 2) you are ready to use it after baking and cooling the cookies.
Slow cooker dulce de leche, cooked 10 hours.
Sugar cookie dough, refrigerated and rolled.
After cookies are baked and cooled, layer a thin coating of white confectionery coating on top and allow it to harden.
Pipe dulce de leche on top of white confectionery coating, leaving a small border of the white confectionery coating.
Hint: I use a 1M wilton piping tip to create the dulce de leche swirls on top of the cookies.
This recipe is so great to put your own spin on. Try doing these variations!
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes to the sugar cookie dough
- Chocolate peanut butter - use peanut butter cookie dough and milk chocolate as the layer between the dulce de Chocolate
- Chocolate caramel - use a chocolate cookie dough, dark chocolate layer, and dulce de leche
This recipe uses equipment you probably already have around the house! You will need a slow cooker, oven, baking sheet, glass bowl, piping bag, and spatula.
Storage and shelf life
Store the finished cookies in an airtight container. Good for 2-3 days.
Slow cooker dulce de leche can be made a few months in advance and stored in the unopened cans in your pantry. Once the cans are open, the dulce de leche should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will only last 2-3 days once opened.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
Dulce de Leche cinnamon sugar cookies
- large glass bowl
- baking sheet
- small prep bowl for cinnamon sugar mix
- 1 M piping tip
- 1 package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tbsp white sugar
White cinnamon coating
- 6 ounces white confectionery coating
- 0.5 teaspoon cinnamon
Dulce de leche
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk, full fat 2, 12 ounce cans
Dulce de Leche
- Remove all labels from sweetened condensed milk.
- Place cans of sweetened condensed milk in a slow cooker.
- Fill slow cooker with hot water, fully submerging the sweetened condensed milk with around 1" of water over the top of the can.
- Place lid on slow cooker. Cook for ten hours on high.
- Turn off slow cooker. Remove cans from slow cooker using extreme caution as they will be very hot. Tongs are recommended. Do not open cans.
- Place cans in a safe place where no one will touch or open them to cool. Cool overnight or until no heat remains in can.
Cinnamon sugar cookies
- Preheat oven according to sugar cookie dough instructions.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cinnamon with 1 tablespoon of white sugar. Blend and set aside.
- Roll sugar cookies into balls. Sugar cookie balls should be around the size of a golf ball.
- Roll the sugar cookies in the cinnamon sugar blend.
- Place sugar cookie dough on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake according to package instructions.
- Cool cookies completely.
White confectionery coating
- In a glass bowl, microwave confectionery coating in 30 second increments stirring after each one ,until fluid.
- Stir in ½ teaspoon of cinnamon into the white coating.
- Using a spoon, layer around 1 tablespoon of white confectionery coating on top of cooled cookie, leaving an outer rim of sugar cookie visible.
- Allow white coating to harden.
- Open the cooled dulce de leche.
- Place 1M piping tip in piping bag.
- Fill piping bag with dulce de leche.
- Pipe dulce de leche in a circular motion on top of white confectionery coating, leaving some of the white confectionery coating exposed.
- Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.