Peppermint bark brownies, but using a box mix. Is there anything easier than box brownie mix? Maybe break and bake cookie dough, however those aren't as yummy. First you add oil, eggs, water, and BAM 35 minutes later, delicious brownies right out of the oven. These peppermint bark brownies take boxed brownies to another level, literally, because the ganache adds about an inch and a half of height. Easy and a crowd pleaser, the cookie platter will thank you.
Baking with confectionery items is a great way to elevate your baked goods. In fact, I've got a whole section of recipes dedicated baking with candy.
Which brownie mix for peppermint bark brownies?
Personally, I love the Ghirardelli brownie mix. I have yet to find one that is better. If you have one you prefer, use that! If you have a killer homemade brownie recipe that you refuse to not use, go for it! Keep in mind you are adding height and weight on top of the brownies, so you don't want a thin or weak brownie.
There are two different types of ganache in this recipe, and I'm not talking about white chocolate vs. dark chocolate. This is butter ganache vs. cream ganache. The dark chocolate is a cream ganache, meaning it uses heavy cream. The white chocolate is a butter ganache, meaning it uses butter to make it and no cream. Why?
Dark chocolate has cocoa in it. It causes the chocolate to be thicker and set up more when making ganache, so you need to thin it out in order to cut through it. White chocolate doesn't have any cocoa in it. If you use cream to thin out white chocolate, it becomes very runny and doesn't set up well. It has to be thinned and softened with something, otherwise it will set back up into a hard white chocolate piece. Also, adding a soft fat that is semi solid at room temperature (butter, coconut oil), you are softening the chocolate while retaining enough of the shape so the ganache won't get runny or messy.
Ingredients for peppermint bark brownies
- 1 box of brownie mix and required ingredients to make them
- dark chocolate (I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate baking chips, do not use any other brand of baking chips because they are too waxy. Other solid dark chocolate bars are fine)
- white chocolate (from bars- not chips)
- peppermint extract
- crushed peppermint candy
Peppermint Bark Boxed Brownies
- 9X9 baking pan
- Rolling Pin
- 1 box brownie mix, prepared according to box directions
White Chocolate Ganache
- 330 grams white chocolate bars not baking chips
- 60 grams butter
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 175 grams dark chocolate not baking chips unless Ghirardelli Dark
- 50 grams corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 10 pieces peppermint candies, crushed
- Bake brownie mix according to box instructions. Let cool completely.
White Chocolate Ganache
- Break white chocolate into pieces. Place in bowl with butter.
- Microwave using 30 second increments. Stir between each until ganache and butter are combined. Do not over heat.
- Spread over cooled brownies.
Dark Chocolate ganache
- Place dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
- Combine heavy cream and corn syrup. Microwave on high for 75 seconds.
- Add peppermint extract to hot heavy cream and corn syrup mix. Stir to combine.
- Pour over dark chocolate. Let sit undisturbed for 90 seconds.
- Stirring slowly, stir until cream and chocolate combine to form ganache.
- Pour over white chocolate ganache. Spread evenly.
- Top with crushed peppermint.
- Allow chocolate to set up completely before cutting.