If you're going to make a candy bar inspired by Oreo cookies, it needs to be epic. These triple layered, homemade Oreo candy bars have three incredible component and they are stacked on top of one another. Fully coated in dark chocolate, they are finished off with a white drizzle and a dusting of Oreo cookie crumbs.
General flow for Oreo candy bars
- Cookie base
- You'll need Oreo baking crumbs for the cookie base. However, this is NOT crushed Oreo cookies. You can find Oreo crumbs on Amazon, or at your local grocery store in the baking section. I used Oreo pie crust because it is 100% Oreo crumbs and was cheaper than ordering from Amazon.
- Cream center. This is my favorite part because who doesn't love extra cream filling?!
- Stack cream center on top of cookie base.
- Top cream layer with ganache, let set up.
- Cut and dip in chocolate, finally finishing with white drizzles and cookie crumbs.
Ingredients for Oreo candy bars
Cookie Base Ingredients
- Oreo cookie baking crumbs
Cream Filling Ingredients
- Powdered Sugar
- Crushed Oreo Cookies
- Dark Chocolate
- Heavy Cream
- Corn Syrup
Dipping and Decoration
- Dark Chocolate
- White Chocolate for drizzling
- crushed Oreo cookie wafers (no cream filling) for crumbs
Instructions- Oreo candy bars
This recipe uses two 12 x 17" sheet pans, one for the cookie base and one for the cream center. Start by lining both with parchment paper and leaving a 3" overhang on the two short sides. Leaving overhang is because it allows easy lifting of the layers out of the pan before cutting.
Start by making your cookie base
First, gather your cookie base ingredients: crushed Oreo cookie crumbs, flour, sugar, salt, and butter.
Next, you'll pour your cookie base into your prepared pan.
Finally, press the cookie base into the 12 X 17" sheet pan. This needs to be a tight, evenly pressed base.
After the cookie base, make the cream center
During the time the cookie base cools, make the cream center. After that, press it into an even layer in 12 X 17" pan prepared with parchment. Then place the cream center base in the refrigerator until firm, around 30 minutes.
Stacking the layers
After the cream center base is firm and the shortbread crust is cool, bring both layers out to your working space. Melt 300 grams of chocolate or confectionery coating wafers. Spread the melted coating over top of the shortbread. Next, you're going to put the cream layer on top of this melted coating. This is done by taking the cream layer out of the pan by lifting up the parchment paper and turning the whole layer upside down. Line up the two layers and stack them, one on top of another.
You now have two layers in one sheet pan, the chocolate shortbread and cream filling. The ganache can be applied directly to the cream center. Let the ganache set up completely before cutting and dipping bars. Do not put it in the refrigerator to set.
Cutting, bottoming, dipping
These bars can be cut and dipped at room temperature. You MUST bottom them before fulling dipping them in dark chocolate. This is done by:
- Holding a cut bar between your finger and thumb.
- Lightly dipping it in your melted chocolate, halfway up the sides of the bar.
- Gently scraping it the bottom of the bar on a rubber spatula, removing excess chocolate but not removing the entire coated chocolate bottom.
- Placing the bar on parchment paper and allowing it to set up before fully dipping.
- For a clean look, run a sharp knife along the sides before fully dipping in chocolate.
Dipping and Dusting:
After dipping these bars, I place it on parchment paper. I drizzle using white confectionery coating from a piping bag and dust the drizzle with crushed Oreo cookies.
Storage and shelf life of Oreo candy bars
Fully dipped bars have a shelf life of 3 months. Bars can be stored in the freezer for up to one year. Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature.
Oreo Candy Bars
- 2 12 x 17 sheet pans
- 2 large glass bowls one for ganache and one for dipping bars
- dipping fork
Oreo Cookie Base
- 530 grams oreo cookie crumbs (NOT CRUSHED OREOS)
- 100 grams flour
- 150 grams sugar
- 3 grams salt
- 113 grams butter, cold cut into cubes
- 3 grams vanilla
- 360 grams vegetable shortening (plain Crisco)
- 907 grams powdered sugar
- 5 grams vanilla
- 300 grams crushed oreo cookies
- 325 grams Dark Chocolate
- 125 grams heavy cream
- 50 grams corn syrup
Chocolate for Dipping
- 2 lbs tempered dark chocolate
- 8 ounces white chocolate or candy coating for drizzle
- 100 grams crushed oreo wafer cookies (no cream filling)
Oreo Cookie Base
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 12 X 17" sheet pan with parchment paper. Leave a 3" overhang on the short sides.
- In a stand mixer, combine oreo cookie crumbs, flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add butter and mix on low for one minute.
- Add vanilla. Mix on low-medium until a dough forms.
- Press dough tightly into sheet pan.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- Prepare a 12 X 17 " sheet pan with parchment paper. Leave a 3" overhang on short sides.
- Cream shortening in stand mixer on low for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour out filling on a large sheet of parchment paper. Fold in crushed oreos.
- Press cream filling tightly into prepared 12 x 17 sheet pan.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Remove from refrigerator. Set up your workspace with the cooled shortbread and cream filling layers.
- Melt 300 grams of chocolate or confectionery coating. Apply it to shortbread.
- Place the cream layer on the shortbread layer. This is done by turning the entire layer upside down and lining it up with the shortbread. Once it is on top, press down slightly and remove parchment paper.
- Heat milk and corn syrup in microwave for 75 seconds.
- Pour over dark chocolate. Let sit for one minute, undisturbed.
- Stirring slowly, stir mix until ganache forms.
- Spread in even layer over cream filling. Let set up completely before cutting.
Cutting, Dipping, Decorating
- Cut bars into 1" x 3" rectangles.
- Bottom the bars in chocolate and place on parchment paper. After the bottoms are set up, run a sharp paring knife along the sides to clean up the edges before proceeding with fully dipping.
- Dip in dark chocolate. Drizzle with white chocolate drizzle and sprinkle with cookie crumbs if desired.